2017 Master Plan – Project Overview
In close coordination with the FAA, and the airport’s consultant, Talbert & Bright, the following
objectives formed the basis for the study team’s scope of work. The objectives are to:
- Evaluate and update existing airport forecasts to assess the airport role, determine the
airport’s critical design aircraft, airlines and passenger demand, and determine the
airport’s facility needs through 2036.
- Assess the airport’s ability to meet current FAA design standards.
- Assess the airport’s ability to meet commercial air service, air cargo, and general aviation
needs throughout a 20-year planning horizon (2016-2036).
- Identify specific opportunities for improving the airport’s facilities, while ensuring the
safety, and reliability of operations at EWN.
- Graphically represent a preferred development scenario that is logical while supporting
and complimenting the strategic vision and development in Craven County.
- Establish a practical schedule of priorities that consider the financial, environmental, and
engineering feasibility of airport improvements.
- Utilize as much relevant existing information and plans as possible to reduce the costs
associated with conducting the Airport Master Plan Update.
- To provide a concise and descriptive report such that the impact and logic of its
recommendations are clearly understood; and ultimately
- Prepare and approve a new Airport Layout Plan.
The planning activity involved with this project follows the guidelines provided by the FAA
Advisory Circular 150-5070-6B “Airport Master Plans”.